Monday, January 9, 2012

Baby Let the Games Begin

It has been a rather long day of waiting, wondering what life would look like a week from now and waiting for the surgeon to tell us what lies ahead. It was hard to not be able to mentally prepare since we didn't fully know what we were up against. We had been told surgery would be in days and we'd been told Jeff would get to go home for a month before having surgery.

Our moment of enlightenment occurred late this afternoon. Jeff will be having open heart surgery as soon as possible (most likely 5-7 days). The date is still not decided upon as they have more safety issues to consider. Jeff's heart needs some time to heal from the trauma of what we discovered was 2 major heart attacks on Saturday. However, waiting more than a week is not optimal. Also, the risks for complications during surgery and the days following are higher for Jeff. It was also revealed to us that Jeff's current heart condition was more involved than we realized. There are 3 main arteries providing blood to your heart. Jeff had 100% blockage in one, 90% in another and then 80% in the 3rd. We knew of the presence of multiple blockages but not the extent of the damage done including the length of blockage in the artery and multiple ulcerations in the vascular tissue. At least 5 by-pass grafts will be needed.

We learned the long term life of the grafts were a lot shorter than we realized (12-15 years). Most concerning to the doctor was that Jeff has no risk factors that are usually seen with this condition (his cholesterol was good, he lives a healthy lifestyle). That leaves to question how to prevent further damage down the road.

At this moment, we are needing time to absorb all that was just thrown at us. As I type this, Jeff is already undergoing tests and we were told to expect more throughout the evening. I think for us the reality and seriousness of the situation is beginning to settle in, but we are relieved we have a clearer picture of what to expect. The surgeon, Dr. Christy, did a phenomenal job explaining everything to us and was in no hurry to leave the room. We feel safe in God's hands.

As soon as we were alone in the room, I will admit my head was SPINNING and Jeff could sense it right away. He grabbed my hand tight and said "This is God's will. We are going to follow along and great things are in store. He has picked us for this trial and just imagine how strong we will be at the end. This is just a bump in the road babe, just a bump in the road."

All Your ways are good
All Your ways are sure
I will trust in You alone
Higher than my side
High above my life
I will trust in You alone

Where You go, I'll go
Where You stay, I'll stay
When You move, I'll move
I will follow You
Who You love, I'll love
How You serve I'll serve
If this life I lose, I will follow You

Light unto the world
Light unto my life
I will live for You alone
You're the one I seek
Knowing I will find
All I need in You alone

In You there's LIFE EVERLASTING
In You there's FREEDOM for my soul
In you there's JOY, UNENDING JOY
and Jeff and I will follow

"I Will Follow" - Chris Tomlin

GOD IS GOOD!!!

-Stacy

5 comments:

  1. I have heard great things about Dr Christy! You are always in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome response from Jeff... He is truly reflecting Jesus in your present trial.. .Praying for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you all having to go through this, but I love your view of it. This is your megaphone to those around you of the goodness and greatness of God. We are praying for you and for healingmbut even more for God's will to be done and that he would use you to shine a light on Him. Evan O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff and Stacy,
    Dr. Christy is an amazing doctor. He did surgery on my dad and my family is thankful for his skill. We are praying and thinking of you daily. Please let us know if we can help in ANY way. We love you!

    The Hauers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff & Stacy,
    This morning I am praying Psalm 46 and 1Peter 5:7 & 10 over you and the kids. Praise God that HE is our refuge and strength rather than our own minds and bodies! Love you guys!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete